You can now transfer ThankYou Points earned by your Citi Prestige, ThankYou Premier, ThankYou Preferred, Citi Chairman, or Citi Forward card to Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles frequent flyer program at a rate of 1:1.
That means ThankYou Points now transfer to 14 airlines and one hotel loyalty program.
The only partners that don’t normally have a 1:1 transfer rate are Hilton (1:1.5) and Jetblue (1:.5). The following transfer bonuses are currently running as well…
- Transfers of Citi ThankYou Points to Cathay Pacific Asia Miles will earn a 20% bonus through 11:59 PM ET September 6, 2017.
- Transfers of Citi ThankYou Points to Hilton Honors Points will earn a 100% bonus through 11:59 p.m. ET on September 20, 2017.
To see how long ThankYou Point transfers generally take, read How Long Does it Take ThankYou Points to Transfer?
Basics on Turkish Airlines Miles are What They’re Good For
Turkish Airlines calls the cheapest level (aka Saver level in other programs) award space Capacity controlled/Limited. The more expensive level (aka Standard level in other programs) award space is called Guaranteed. Don’t go for Guaranteed–it will run you way too many points/miles. All prices listed below are for Capacity Controlled/Limited award space/
Here are some sweetspots on Turkish Airlines award charts (all from or to the United States):
- 45,000 miles one way in Business Class to Europe
- 67,500 miles one way in First Class to Europe
- 47,000 miles one way in Business Class to the Middle East
- 69,500 miles one way in First Class to the Middle East
- 52,500 miles one way in Business Class to Central Asia
- 77,000 miles one way in First Class to Central Asia
- 67,500 miles one way in Business Class to South Africa and Far East
- 100,000 miles on way in First Class to South Africa and Far East
Here are Turkish Airline’s region definitions:
Europe (1 & 2, but the prices are the same to both):
Unfortunately fuel surcharges are something you’ll have to deal with when redeem Turkish Airline miles (which is often an issue redeeming a foreign carrier’s miles). When a carrier imposes them, Turkish will collect them–this includes fuel surcharges on their own flights, although their own fuel surcharges tend to be on the mild side. One way to avoid fuel surcharges is to fly Star Alliance partners that don’t impose fuel surcharges, like United.
- On Turkish Airlines: One stopover is permitted where award tickets are used for flights on Turkish Airlines.
- On Star Alliance Member Airlines: Our Members Are Allowed to Have One Stopover for Awards with Values from Minimum 60,000 Miles for Economy Class, From Minimum 90,000 Miles for Business Class and from Minimum 135,000 Miles for First Class
Booking Process with Turkish Airlines Miles
If you want to book a Turkish award flying their own planes, you can do so online at their website. If you want to book a Turkish award flying a partner, the process is much more annoying. You have to call 1-800-874-8875 to reserve it, but you technically have to book your award at a physical ticket office. View from the Wing reports that he’s had success getting the Toronto ticketing office to ticket his award over the phone. Anyone else had any luck?
You can read more about the process of booking partner awards with Turkish Airlines miles in this Flyertalk thread.
How to Earn ThankYou Points
- Citi Prestige Card: 75,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $7,500 in purchases made with your card in the first 3 months the account is open. The card also earns 3x points on airfare and hotels, 2x points on dining out and entertainment, and has a host of benefits like lounge access and $250 in free airfare per year.
- Citi ThankYou Premier Card: 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $3,000 in purchases made with your card in the first three months the account is open (it is rumored that this offer is changing TOMORROW! Apply now if you want the 50k bonus). The card also earns 3x points on travel and gas and 2x points on dining and entertainment. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year. Read the full offer breakdown here.
- Citi ThankYou Preferred Card: 15,000 bonus ThankYou Points after $1,000 in purchases made with your card in the first three months the account is open. The card also earns 2x points on dining and entertainment purchases and has no annual fee.
Credit card links have been removed from posts and added to the menu bar at the top of every page of MileValue under the heading Top Travel Credit Cards.
Turkish Airlines was just added as the 14th airline transfer partner of Citi ThankYou Points. If you have ThankYou Points earned by the Citi Prestige, ThankYou Premier, ThankYou Preferred, Citi Chairman, or Citi Forward card, you can now transfer your ThankYou Points 1:1 to Miles & Smiles as well as 13 other airline loyalty programs and Hilton (transfer rates to other programs vary).
There are great values to be had redeeming Turkish Airline miles, unfortunately it can just be a bit of a pain in the butt. If you live near a Turkish Airlines ticketing office or have confidence you can get your award ticketed over the phone, then the new Citi transfer partner will be even more appealing.
Anyone with experience redeeming Turkish miles please share your experiences in the comments!
Hat tip View from the Wing