Amazon is offering 20% off purchases sold by Amazon, in addition to various gift cards not sold by Amazon, for those that apply at least 1 Membership Rewards point to their order and pay with the Amex card that earned it. The maximum discount is $50 on a $250 order. Note that while widely available, it does appear that this is a targeted offer.
If the promo lasts (see point B in the first bullet of the terms and conditions in the conclusion), then you may be able to stack this offer with Amazon Prime Day which this year will span over two days: July 15 and 16.
Here’s what to do.
If it’s not already, add your Membership Rewards-earning Amex card as a payment method to your Amazon account.
Navigate here. If you see the following screen, congrats, you were targeted.
Click the “Click to activate” button to apply the offer to your Amazon account.
Now you can shop. The 20% discount will only apply to products actually sold and shipped by Amazon, as well as select third party gift cards. You can check if a product is sold by Amazon in the product description where it should say “Ships from and sold by Amazon”, as circled in the screenshot below.
If there’s nothing you need from Amazon today but you want to cash in on this awesome deal, buy a gift card you know you will use in the future from a third party retailer instead like Airbnb, Southwest, Uber, and Whole Foods… some place you know you will spend at anyways. They are also 20% off if applying at least 1 point. I know it expressly says in the terms that third party retailer purchases don’t count, but the proof is in the pudding. My Airbnb pudding shows as 20% off ($199.99 instead of $250):
Once you find what you want, check out and change your payment method. Choose to pay with a card that earns Membership Rewards, and then scroll down to the Rewards Points section. You’ll be able to apply Membership Rewards from the account that you selected to pay with. Amazon will try to automatically apply all the Membership Rewards you have earned with that card to the purchase (DON’T FALL FOR IT), but you can manually change to as low as 1 cent (1 point) applied and the discount will still trigger.
The discount can be applied to multiple purchases before maxing out.
Terms of Promotion
- This is a limited offer. The promotion will end on the earlier of (a) 11:59 PT on 07/16/2019, or (b) the time at which offers worth $5,000,000 have been redeemed.
- The promotion code will expire concurrently. Amazon.com reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- Offer applies only to the purchase where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is applied at checkout.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page. Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Limit one promotion code per Membership Rewards eligible card.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- If any of the products related to your original order are returned, subject to Amazon’s refund policy, you will receive a refund of the amount charged to your card first, followed by Membership Rewards points.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Membership Rewards points card issued in United States.
- Promotional credit is applied before taxes and fees.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
If you have a Membership Rewards earning card, make sure it’s added to your Amazon account as a payment method, and then check to see if you’re targeted for 20% off your order. You’ll just need to apply one Membership Reward point (for 1 cent of value) towards the purchase. That will trigger a 20% discount up to $50 off. Make sure you apply the offer to your account before checking out.