This is the first post in a monthlong series. Each post will take about two minutes to read and may include an action item that takes the reader another two minutes to complete. I am writing this for an audience of people who know nothing about frequent flier miles, and my goal is that by the end, you know enough to fly for free anywhere you want to go.
I’m revising and updating my Free First Class Next Month series for beginners, which I previously ran in March and September, 2012. The learning curve for miles enthusiasts can be steep, and I hope this series flattens that curve. The series is for total beginners to get a base in the essentials about earning and redeeming miles.
In this series, I’m going to be showing you the tricks that experts use to fly in first class anywhere in the world for pennies. By next month, you’ll be a pro at earning frequent flier miles for doing things you already do and redeeming them for dream first-class vacations you thought you could never afford.
In addition to frequent flier miles, I’ll be teaching you about how to find incredibly cheap cash fares and hotels, so that you’ve got a full arsenal of ways to travel cheap or free.
If you have two minutes a day, you can enjoy Free First Class Next Month! Bookmark this page, and check back tomorrow when we take the first step to Free First Class Next Month. (Or better yet, enter your email in the top left of this page, and you’ll get one email per day with that day’s posts.)
Here is a link to every post in the series in case you missed one. Reading the whole thing should take less than hour.
Free First Class Next Month: Table of Contents
- An Updated Guide to Free Travel with Miles and Points
- Signing Up For Travel Loyalty Programs
- Sign Up for Award Wallet
- Check Your Credit Score
- Putting All Your Spending on Credit Cards
- Double Credit Card Miles with Business Cards
- Best Practices for Your First App-o-Rama
- Best Current Credit Card Offers
- An Easy Way to Meet Multiple Minimum Spends at Once
- Transferable Points Program Basics
- Category Bonuses
- Other Credit Card Benefits
- Cancelling Cards
- Keeping Miles Active with Dining Programs
- Shopping Portals
- You Can Earn Miles Doing Anything
- Airline Hubs and Alliances
- Searching United.com to Redeem United and US Airways Miles
- Searching AA.com to Redeem American Airlines Miles
- Searching BA.com to Redeem American Airlines Miles
- Using Qantas.com to Redeem American Airlines Miles
- Using Delta.com to Redeem Delta Miles
- Using Expert Flyer to Redeem Delta Miles
- Planning Awards with Wikipedia and Kayak
- Using Seat Guru to Pick the Best Award
- Using the Great Circle Mapper
- Using the FlyerTalk Mileage Run Deals Forum to Find Cheap Flights and Mistake Fares
- Using ITA Matrix to Find Cheap Flights and Fuel Surcharge Info
- Cheapskate Lodging with Hotel Promos, Hostels, airbnb, and CouchSurfing
- Name Your Own Price on Priceline to Save Hundreds on Hotels (Part 1)
- Name Your Own Price on Priceline to Save Hundreds on Hotels (Part 2)
- Using the MileValue Calculator
- The End (this post)