The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard® 60,000 mile offer has expired. Check out the current best credit card offers here.
Right now there is a lot of award space in flat bed American Airlines Business and First Class between the United States and Australia from late April to early June, 2017 (Australia’s fall).
“A lot” is a relative term in this case because premium cabin award space bookable with American Airlines miles is rare, but there are a good deal of options if you’re flexible (especially if you are a solo traveler or don’t mind traveling on the following day after your companion).
The Los Angeles to Sydney route is flown on American’s Flagship Boeing 777-300ER with fully lie-flat beds and aisle access for every seat in Business and First Class.
From North America to Australia and New Zealand, American Airlines charges:
- 80,000 miles one way in Business Class
- 110,000 miles one way in First Class
Premium Cabin Award Space United States to Australia
From the end of April through the beginning of June (fall for Australia) there is actually A LOT of First Class award space flying American Airlines direct between Los Angeles and Sydney for one person.
There is less Business space but still more than what you’ll normally find.
If you don’t live in Los Angeles you can add a leg from your hometown airport in the United States to Los Angeles for no extra miles as long as it’s SAAver level space and is in the same or a lower cabin than your transpacific leg.
If you want to fly to New Zealand or elsewhere in Australia from Sydney, you can tack a Qantas leg on the award without changing the price (again, just make sure it’s SAAver level space and in the same or a lower cabin than your transpacific leg).
Read Redeem American Airlines Miles: Part 10 — Redeeming for Australia and New Zealand to learn more about the ins and outs of of redeeming American Airlines miles to the land down under.
How to Get American Airlines Miles
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard® currently comes with 60,000 bonus American Airlines miles and Admirals Club lounge membership
- Earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Admirals Club® membership for you and up to 32 other people
- Complimentary Admirals Club® lounge access for authorized users
- 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles from American Airlines after $40,000 spent on purchases every year (January through December billing statement)*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to eight companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
The CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select card normally comes with 30,000 American Airlines miles after spending $1,000 in three months, but it’s common to find links for the 50,000 AA mile bonus for spending $3,000 in three months (hat tip Doctor of Credit).
Those are two of the fastest ways to accrue American Airlines miles in one fell swoop. But beware of the new rule from Citi that restricts you from getting the sign up bonus if you’ve opened or closed a card of the same type within the last 24 months.
Act fast if you want to fly to Australia in a premium cabin with your American Airlines miles– itt is not common to see this much Business and First Class award space, and it will go fast.