On Monday, Citi announced that ThankYou Points are now transferable to seven airlines. You can transfer Citi ThankYou Points from the Citi ThankYou® Premier, Citi Prestige® Card,, or Citi Chairman card a 1:1 ratio to:
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
- Etihad Guest
- Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer
- Qatar Privilege Club
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Thai Airways Royal Orchard Plus
You can also transfer 1,000 ThankYou Points to 1,500 Hilton HHonors points.
I singled out Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles as the best of the bunch on Monday for these reasons. (Give me a little time to look further into the other programs to find some sweet spots.)
I wanted to test the transfer time from ThankYou Points to Singapore miles, so folks can plan ahead for future Singapore redemptions.
My transfer took less than 36 hours to post to my Singapore Airlines account.
- What was the process to transfer Citi ThankYou Points to Singapore miles?
- What time did I transfer the points and when did they arrive as Singapore miles?
- How does the ThankYou Points transfer compare to Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards transfers to Singapore miles?
At 7:15 PM ET on July 21, I transferred 1,000 ThankYou Points to 1,000 KrisFlyer miles at thankyou.com.
I got this confirmation screen, saying it could take up to 14 days for my miles to post in my Singapore account.
Immediately I received an email acknowledging my transfer request.
I checked regularly to see if the points posted. The miles posted some time between 5:45 PM ET on July 22 and 7:15 AM ET on July 23.
That means it took between 22 and 36 hours for the transfer to be completed. It’s possible that instead of an amount of time, the transfer happens at a time of day, which seems to be overnight on the east coast.
The transfer showed up like this in my Singapore account.
Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards transfers to Singapore miles also take in the neighborhood of 24-48 hours.
That lag can be annoying, but I am always willing to risk award space disappearing because:
- Award space does change frequently, but I haven’t missed out yet on a Singapore award because space disappeared while a miles transfer was in progress.
- If one award falls through, the transferred miles are hardly worthless. You can use them for your Plan B award.
Getting ThankYou Points
The easiest way to earn a bundle of ThankYou Points is with theCiti Prestige® Card, which has a huge sign up bonus and big category bonuses.
- 17,500 miles each way in economy and 30,000 miles in First between the continental United States and Hawaii on United flights (Get the flat bed in First!)
- Two free one ways to Hawaii plus a roundtrip to South America for 50,000 miles total in economy and 80,000 miles in Business/First.
- Two free one ways to Hawaii plus a roundtrip to Central America or two free one ways to Central America plus a roundtrip to Hawaii for 35,000 miles total in economy and 60,000 miles in Business/First.
- Booking Singapore Suites