There is currently a 40% transfer bonus on Membership Rewards transfers to Virgin America. The normal rate is 200 Membership Rewards to 100 Elevate points.
Until September 30, 200 Membership Rewards transfer to 140 Elevate points.
What are the sweetspots on the Virgin America chart that might make a transfer worthwhile?
While transferring 10 Membership Rewards to 7 Virgin America Elevate points might not sound great, Virgin America has an incredible award chart for flights on its partners.
- 20k Virgin America points (28,600 Membership Rewards) is a roundtrip between the mainland and Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines
- 3k Virgin America points (4,400 Membership Rewards) is a one way interisland flight on Hawaiian Airlines
- There are tons of other great deals on Hawaiian flights to Asia and Australia
- 35k Virgin America points (50k Membership Rewards) + $1,100 is a roundtrip from New York, Newark, Boston, Washington DC, or Chicago to London in Virgin Atlantic Upper Class
- There are other great deals on Upper Class flights from Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, and Vancouver
One of the best things about having a pile of Membership Rewards is these occasional transfer bonuses. (Wouldn’t it be great if Ultimate Rewards offered them?)
The current 40% transfer bonus to Virgin America can be a great deal for people who want to use Elevate points to fly Hawaiian Airlines or Virgin Atlantic.
The best cards to earn Membership Rewards are:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express (personal) with 40k Membership Rewards after $3,000 in purchases in the first three months.
- The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz (personal) with 50k Membership Rewards after $3,000 in purchases in the first three months.
- American Express® Premier Rewards Gold Card (personal) with 25k Membership Rewards after spending $2,000 in the first three months
- The Business Gold Rewards Card® from American Express OPEN with 25,000 Membership Rewards after spending $5,000 in the first three months