Uber is the world’s best taxi service because it has clean, courteous drivers and the easiest ride-ordering app imaginable. Tap, tap, tap, and a car whose progress you can track towards you is on its way.
If there is ever a chance you will want to use Uber, sign up today! Even if Uber doesn’t operate where you live, you are very likely to travel somewhere where it does.
- What is Uber?
- How does it work?
MORE INFO ON UBER
Uber is an app on your smart phone on which you request a Black Car, taxi, taxi van, SUV, or uberX car to pick you up. (Not all options are available in all markets.) The in-app map shows you nearby cars and tells you how long you’ll have to wait. You can input your destination and get an estimated price, which varies by the service. I find uberX and taxis to be the cheapest.
Once you get dropped off, you rate your driver. Bad drivers are fired, so you are extremely likely to get a good driver.
All of my Uber Taxi, uberX, and Black Car Rides have been superb–clean car, on time pick up, friendly driver–except for one. One driver tried to scam me out of $1, and Uber refunded my $23 fare for the inconvenience. I haven’t tried the other Uber car options yet.
Let’s list the ways Uber is better than your local cab company:
- Easier and faster to order a ride. No calling in and waiting on hold.
- More accurate timetable given for pick up. I hate when the taxi operator tells me she’s sending the “next available” cab. How long will that be?
- You can get an estimate of the price in advance.
- Uber drivers are more likely to drive a clean, not smelly, car in my experience.
- No need to tip any of your Uber drivers except UberTaxi drivers, and you can set your tip percentage for taxis on uber.com. Your uberX, Black Car, SUV, etc rides are tip-free. UberTaxi is a service only in some cities whereby your Uber flags a normal city taxi, and you pay the fare on the meter + $1 + a pre-set tip percentage.
- Your credit card is saved on file. No need to carry any cash.
So if you sign up for Uber now, we will each be given a $30 credit.
And don’t forget to set your Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® as your payment card on Uber. Since the Arrival Plus expanded its definition of “travel” to include taxis, you can redeem Arrival miles to remove the cost of an Uber ride after you use your $30 in free credit.