Southwest is having its twice-yearly big fare sale now through Thursday for flights from August to December. Fares start at $49 and include two free checked bags.
Because Southwest points have a (nearly) fixed value, awards are also on sale starting from 2,300 points + $5.60.
This sale is a great deal for anyone who wants to travel in the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, or the Caribbean this Fall, especially anyone with Southwest points or the ridiculously-easy-to-get Southwest Companion Pass.
How to Find the Deals
Click the deals page and look for your home airport. For instance, here are the deals from Chicago-Midway.
Then search on southwest.com and pull up the monthlong calendar in dollars…
…or points to see the deals.
Southwest offers no-penalty cancellations. You get back your cash to use within one year of your original booking for other Southwest flights or your points back on an award booking to use whenever you want.
So if you had a Southwest booking, and your route is cheaper because of this sale, rebook now and you’ll have the fare difference to apply toward a future flight.
Speculatively Book Awards
If you think you might want to take a flight that is on sale, but aren’t sure, book with points now. If you decide to cancel later, you get all your points back and you get the taxes back as a credit to use for a future flight within one year of the original booking.
Airlines are lemmings, so look for the legacy carriers to match these fares (without the free checked bags) if you prefer to fly those airlines.
Southwest Sale Terms and Conditions:
- Purchase from June 6 through June 8, 2017, 11:59 p.m. in the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Domestic travel valid August 22 through December 13, 2017. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid September 6 through December 7, 2017.International travel valid August 22 through December 13, 2017.
- Domestic travel blacked out September 1, September 4, & November 17-28, 2017. Sale fares to international destinations blacked out September 1-2 and November 18-20, 2017; sale fares from international destinations blacked out September 4-6 and November 25-28, 2017.
- Domestic travel is not valid on Fridays and Sundays. Travel to Florida and Nevada and from Florida to Nevada is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays. Travel from Florida and Nevada and from Nevada to Florida is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid Monday – Thursday. International travel is valid only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Fares valid only on nonstop service.
- Displayed prices include all U.S. and international government taxes and fees.
- Points bookings do not include taxes, fees, and other government/airport charges of at least $5.60 per one-way flight.
- Fares not available to/from Albany and Manchester.
- Seats and days are limited. Fares may vary by destination, flight, and day of week and won’t be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times and holiday periods.
- Travel is available for one-way Wanna Get Away® fares.
- Fares may be combined with other Southwest Airlines® combinable fares. If combining with other fares, the most restrictive fare’s rules apply.
- Sale fares may be available on other days of week, but that’s not guaranteed.
- Fares are nonrefundable but may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines®, as long as reservations are canceled at least ten minutes prior to the scheduled departure. Failure to cancel prior to departure will result in forfeiture of remaining funds on the reservation.
- Any change in itinerary may result in an increase in fare. Standby travel may require an upgrade to the Anytime fare depending on tier status.
- Fares are subject to change until ticketed.
- Offer applies only to published, scheduled service.