The notes at the bottom of the US Airways award chart have some bad news: US Airways is losing four partners this year.
On Saturday, I explained Where to Search for Award Space on All 26 of US Airways’ Partners. If you want to fly four of those partners, though, you need to book in the next few weeks.
Which partners is US Airways losing? When do you have to book by? How far into 2015 can you fly the awards? What are good substitute airlines for the partners being lost?
Here are the four partners being lost and the last day US Airways will be able to book their award space.
1) Award redemption on Air New Zealand must be booked by June 29, 2014
2) Award redemption on Avianca must be booked by May 31, 2014
3) Award redemption on EVA Air must be booked by May 14, 2014
5) … Award redemption on Singapore and Turkish must be booked by July 31, 2014.
Note that awards on these airlines need only be booked by these dates. You can book US Airways awards up to about 335 days in advance. That means you can fly awards containing the lost partners into 2015.
With your US Airways miles:
- Book Air New Zealand flights by 6/29/14 for flights until about 5/30/15.
- Book Avianca flights by 5/31/14 for flights until about 5/1/15.
- Book EVA Air flights by 5/14/14 for flights until about 4/14/15.
- Book Singapore flights by 7/31/14 for flights until about 7/1/15.
- Book Turkish flights by 7/31/14 for flights until about 7/1/15.
How to Replace the Lost Partners
Losing partners is a blow to the value of US Airways miles. Luckily US Airways has other partners in all the regions served by the outgoing partners.
Air New Zealand Substitute
Even after US Airways’ partnership with Air New Zealand ends, US Airways will still partner with Qantas, which is based in Australia and serves several destinations in New Zealand.
When Avianca and its hubs throughout Latin America exit, US Airways will still partner with LAN, which has hubs in Chile, Peru, and Argentina. American Airlines (which has now merged with US Airways) also has an extensive network throughout Latin America.
EVA flies to the US and throughout Asia from its hub in Taiwan. US Airways’ oneworld partner Cathay Pacific does the same, but from its hub in Hong Kong.
Kuala Lumpur, the hub of Malaysia Airlines, is less than 200 miles from Singapore.
US Airways is losing four partners this year:
- Air New Zealand
All are Star Alliance members who US Airways has maintained as partners even though it has left the Star Alliance for oneworld.
You can book US Airways awards up to 335 days in advance, so you can fly all four of these partners will into 2015 on US Airways awards.