Mother’s Day is this coming Sunday, May 14. Plan ahead, and not only can you make the mothers in your lives feel extra special, but also earn a nice stash of miles in the process. There are deals at the moment to earn 30x miles per dollar spent on flowers–maybe even more–so don’t forget to cash in!
Want to know how I earned an 25 Alaska miles per dollar spent and scored $15 off the bouquet I ordered for my mother?
1-800-Flowers is an online flower delivery service that offers many different promotions (not just for Mother’s Day, but consistently) tied to numerous frequent flyer programs. If you use a Promo Code for 1-800-Flowers, you cannot also purchase through a portal so you will forgo those potential earnings.
I found the following promo codes thanks to Frequent Miler.
- Alaska Airlines 25 miles per dollar: AKA3 (this is the deal I opted for–which I’m sure is no surprise for heavy readers of MileValue that know I hoard Alaska miles with a passion)
- American Airlines 30 miles per dollar: A54. Valid through 5/31/17.
- American Airlines 15 miles per dollar: ADDV
- Amtrak 20 points per dollar: AMT36
- jetBlue 20 points per dollar: TB20
- jetBlue 1750 points per order ($34.99 & up): TB1750. Valid through 12/31/17. Limit of five orders per TrueBlue member ID / customer for this promotion
- jetBlue 1500 points per order ($29.99 & up): TB1550. Limit of five (5) orders per TrueBlue member ID / customer for this promotion
- Southwest 1000 points per order ($29.99 & up): RR22 (Companion Pass eligible)
- Southwest 1750 points per order ($34.99 & up): SW36. Valid through 5/15/17. Limit of five orders per Rapid Rewards® Member ID / Customer for this promotion
- United 30 miles per dollar: MP69. Valid through 5/15/17.
- United 20 miles per dollar: MP66
- United 15 miles per dollar: MP56
A portal is a website that offers extra rewards when shopping at specific retailers. When you find retailer on a portal and click through to shop, your purchase is tracked and your frequent flyer program will be credited extra miles for it as long as your program details are registered.
American Express Offers
Here are four offers currently on my Starwood Preferred Guest Card that provide discounts for buying flowers online.
If you have an American Express card, check your Amex offers (sign into your online account, and scroll down below the recent transactions of each Amex card you hold–you’ll see “Amex Offers and Benefits” there). You must add an available offer manually in your online account to receive the discount.
So not only can you earn extra airline miles by shopping through a portal or entering a promo code on 1800Flowers.com, you can stack those earnings with a discount by putting the purchase on your eligible Amex card.
Extend the Life of Miles in an Inactive Account
This is a great way to earn some miles in an account thats been inactive for a while and is on the verge of expiration. Did you close a credit card a while ago that earns a certain type of miles, and haven’t earned nor redeemed any miles from the account since? Almost all airline miles expire after a certain amount of months of inactivity. Earning a couple thousand miles from buying flowers online will re-set the lifespan of your miles that are in question.
It’s time to order the mothers in your life flowers if you want them to arrive by Mother’s Day. There are lots of ways to earn tons of bonus miles purchasing flowers online, so don’t forgot to take advantage of offers like shopping portals, 1-800-Flowers promo codes, or the discounts offered by your Amex cards, for example.
Just a few extra clicks and you’ve got yourself a few extra thousand miles for flowers you were going to buy anyways (Right? Of course you were!)