Delta.com is no longer displaying award space on Alaska Airlines or Virgin Australia. You can search for award space on both airlines on other websites and book it by phone with Delta.
Virgin Australia Business Class
Delta.com is pretty terrible. It shows very few Delta partners, requiring me to search for award space for clients of the MileValue Award Booking Service on airfrance.us, Expert Flyer, or by phone.
Even the partners Delta.com does show usually don’t show up on the calendar of results, so it looks like the month only has Standard and Peak award space when partner space exists that always prices at the Saver level. (What am I talking about? Read this post, and thank me later.)
In the last few days, Delta.com has stopped displaying Virgin Australia and Alaska Airlines award space. This is a big blow for the average member of SkyMiles.
- Virgin Australia has the best award space of any airline to Australia in Business Class. It is bookable for 160,000 Delta miles roundtrip.
- Alaska Airlines has solid award space to Hawaii and Mexico (not great uses of SkyMiles) and to West Coast gateway cities for international award flights.
The silver lining of making award space harder to search is that it becomes more plentiful for those of us who know where to search for it. You can join that group right now.
- Where can you search Alaska Airlines award space?
- Where can you search Virgin Australia award space?
- How do you book the award space you find?
China Airlines has just taken delivery of its 777-300ERs. The new plane looks beautiful with a top-of-the-line flat bed business class, a quality premium economy, and economy that offers the chance to combine three seats into one family “couch.”
Note that China Airlines is based in Taiwan and is a member of SkyTeam. Don’t confuse it with Air China, based in Beijing, and a member of Star Alliance.
China Airlines 777-300ER
The new 777-300ERs will be flying between the United States and Taipei starting in December 2014. The first route will be Los Angeles to Taiwan, followed by San Francisco and New York to Taiwan in 2015.
China Airlines flights are bookable with Delta SkyMiles, and convenient connections are available from Taipei throughout Asia.
- What does Business Class look like?
- What does Premium Economy look like?
- What does Economy look like?
- How can you book the family couches, billed as an affordable alternative to Business Class?
- Where can you search and book award space on China Airlines flights?
Update 11/12/13: The current best deal is this offer for the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express:
- Earn 30K bonus miles after you make $1K in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn As You Spend: Get 2X miles on Delta purchases and 1X miles for all other eligible dollars spent.
- Check your first bag free on every Delta flight – that’s a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Premium Travel Perks: Settle in sooner with Priority Boarding.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Restrictions Apply.
Application Link: Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
Delta miles are the worst. I would rather have United, US Airways, American, and in most cases British Airways Avios. But that doesn’t mean Delta miles are useless. When a good use pops up, I like to spotlight it, so that people with a stash of Delta miles can see the valuable possibilities. See:
Another such good use is to fly Delta’s new daily service from Los Angeles to Cancun roundtrip for only 35,000 SkyMiles + $72 in taxes or fly it in business class for 60,000 SkyMiles + $72.
Image from gcmap.com
How can you book yourself a trip to Cancun? What’s the award space picture?
Hot on the heels of yesterday’s Top Nine Credit Card Offers That Are About to Disappear, American Express has increased the sign up bonus on the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card to 55k SkyMiles and 20k Medallion Qualifying Miles after spending $5k in the first three months of cardmembership.
That means most people can get over 100k SkyMiles from only two cards, enough for a roundtrip business class award to Europe.
How can you get the deal? What are Medallion Qualifying Miles? Where can you find award space with Delta?