Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Points, and Capital One miles are the four major types of transferrable points. By transferrable point I mean that not only are they redeemed for a fixed value, they can also be moved to airline and hotel loyalty programs for often higher value award redemptions.
Those with Membership Rewards, ThankYou Points, and Capital One miles are presented the opportunity to earn a bonus on transferred points periodically. Chase Ultimate Rewards offered their first transfer bonus ever in May to British Airways Avios. Therefore, for the time being, this blog post will act as a place holder. Over time (hopefully) there will be more Ultimate Reward transfer bonuses offered, and I will update this page accordingly.
When Was the Last Transfer Bonus? Series Index
- When Was the Last Transfer Bonus? Membership Rewards
- When Was the Last Transfer Bonus? ThankYou Points
When Was the Last Transfer Bonus? SPG Points*
- When Was the Last Transfer Bonus? Capital One Miles
- When Was the Last Transfer Bonus? Ultimate Rewards (this post)
*Prior to the merger of Marriott and SPG, there were two separate reward currencies for each hotel chain. In August of 2018, all SPG points were converted to Marriott points. You can still transfer Marriott points to airline partners as you could before with SPG points, but Marriott has not offered any transfer bonuses on top of the consistently available 5k airline mile bonus you’ll receive for every 60k Marriott points transferred so I’ve left them out of this series.
Why You Should Care
If you have the flexibility to wait to book, and you have an idea of when the next transfer bonus is, you could wait to save points.
Ultimate Reward Transfer Partners
The transfer rate from Ultimate Rewards to all partners is 1,000 to 1,000.
- Aer Lingus AerClub
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue
- British Airways Executive Club
- Emirates Skywards
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
- United MileagePlus
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- Iberia Plus
- World of Hyatt
- IHG Rewards Club
- Marriott Bonvoy
Transfer Bonus History of Ultimate Rewards
British Airways Avios
- From late April through mid June 2019: 30% transfer bonus
Ultimate Reward-Earning Cards
Chase makes some of the easiest to utilize credit cards and points on the travel credit card market.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred: The best card for beginners. 60,000 Ultimate Reward sign up bonus for spending $4,000 in three months.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: The Sapphire Preferred’s more sophisticated older sister. 50,000 Ultimate Rewards for spending $4,000 in three months. More perks for a higher annual fee.
- Chase Ink Business Preferred: The best all-around business credit card for the price. 80,000 Ultimate Rewards for spending $5,000 in three months.
- Chase Ink Business Cash: Marketed as earning cash back rewards, but as long as you hold one of the above cards, you can transform its points into transferrable Ultimate Rewards. 50,000 Ultimate Rewards for spending $3,000 in three months.
- Chase Ink Business Unlimited: Same schtick as the Ink Business Cash… looks like cash back, but can be turned into transferrable Ultimate Rewards via one of the top three card accounts. 50,000 Ultimate Rewards for spending $3,000 in three months.
Knowing the historical data of transfer bonuses can help you save thousands of miles and get between 20% and 50% discount. Bookmark this page for future reference.