From September 30, 2013 to October 15, 2013, US Airways is offering a bonus of 100% on shared miles.
This is the best mileage purchasing offer of the year that works out to paying 1.13 cents per mile. If you could buy unlimited miles at that price, the US to Europe in business class would be only $1,130 plus taxes and fees roundtrip.
This is a non-targeted offer that only requires membership in US Airways’ Dividend Miles program for at least 12 days and a minimum of 1,000 miles in your account to begin.
How can you take advantage of the best mileage buying promotion of the year? What are the relevant limits, terms, and conditions?
What do I need to take advantage of this offer?
You need at least two Dividend Miles accounts that have been open for a minimum of 12 days. One account is yours, from which the miles with be shared. The second account can belong to a spouse, friend, or family member, and will receive the miles–and the bonus–from your account.
If you do not have a US Airways Dividend Miles account, open one now! Not only would your account be eligible for this promotion before it’s over, but you’ll be eligible for future promotions.
How do I actually share the miles?
Log in to your account at www.usairways.com and navigate to “Buy, share, & gift miles”:
Once you are on the Buy, share, or gift miles page, click on “share miles”:
You will see confirmation of the 100% bonus, and you will be prompted to enter your membership information, the number of miles you want to share, and the membership information of the person receiving the shared miles:
In my example above, I have maxed out the offer by choosing to share 50,000 of my miles. This means that the lucky recipient will get a total of 100,000 miles deposited into his account!
After you have entered the account details for the sharing and receiving accounts and the number of miles you want to share, you will be quoted the final price, which includes a fee of $30 and tax of 7.5%.
In my example, sharing 50,000 miles with a 50,000 miles bonus costs $567.50 ($500 + $30 + $37.50). The net result is buying 50k US Airways miles for $567.50 or 1.13 cent each. This is an absolutely fantastic deal that I will take advantage of speculatively–ie without even having a use for my newly minted miles in mind.
How can I take advantage of this offer if I don’t have any miles?
Have a friend transfer you 50,000 US Airways miles. Your account will receive 100,000 miles. Transfer 50,000 back to him.
You are left with 50,000 miles, and you’ve spent $567.50.
What is this deal worth?
I value US Airways Dividend miles at 1.95 cpm—see the Mile Value Leaderboard. That means 50,000 miles is worth $975. Through this promotion, you can pay $567.70 for 50,000 miles—adiscount of $407.30 or 42%! This is a fantastic value for the money spent.
What else should I know?
Because the buying, sharing, and gifting of US Airways Dividend Miles is processed through points.com, you will not get any category bonus points for travel purchases if you use the Chase Sapphire Preferred or American Express Premier Rewards Gold cards.
But how will I use my Dividend Miles to book my flight when they are in someone else’s account?
Don’t worry–the miles can be redeemed for an award ticket in your name, even if they are in a friend’s account.
I want to max out this promo. What is the limit?
Yes. The limit is that each account can only receive 50,000 bonus miles (plus the 50,000 miles shared = 100,000 miles.)
Here’s how it would look for two people to max out this promo:
- A = you, 50,000 miles in account
- B = partner, no US Airways miles
- A shares 50,000 miles with B
- B gets 100,000 miles
- B shares 50,000 miles with A
- A gets 100,000 miles
At the end of the day, you have converted 50,000 to 150,000 miles:
- A has 100,000 miles
- B has 50,000 miles
What can I do with 100,000 US Airways Dividend Miles?
Here are some possible roundtrip redemptions–US Airways does not allow oneway award ticket bookings at half the roundtrip price unfortunately:
- 2 first class or 4 coach class trips in the continental US
- 1 round trip business class trip to South America
- 1 round trip business class trip to Europe
- 1 round trip business class trip to North Asia–for example Hong Kong, Japan, or South Korea–with 10,000 miles left over. This award also allows a stopover in Europe.
In previous posts, I discussed the South American sweet spots in US Airways’ award chart and how US residents can use open-jaw itineraries to take advantage of some of these sweet spot awards originating in South America. With some creative routing, you can squeeze even more value from your Dividend Miles.
The US Airways 100% bonus on shared miles promotion runs fromnow through October 14 and offers an outstanding value at a cost of 1.13 cpm for Dividend Miles.
To participate, you and the recipient of the shared miles must have Dividend Miles accounts at least 12 days old. The maximum bonus that a recipient can earn is 50,000 miles, but there is no limit on the number of miles that you can transfer out of your account.
To add on to the 50,000 miles you can earn through this promo, there are two personal credit cards that earn US Airways miles:
- The US Airways Premier World MasterCard with 30,000 Dividend Miles after first purchase
- The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express with 25,000 bonus Starpoints after spending $5k in six months. The 30k Starpoints would transfer to 35,000 Dividend Miles.
This promotion last ran October 2012. Do we have a recurring October promotion on our hands?
US Airways Premier World MasterCard® with 30,000 US Airways miles after first purchase
- Earn up to 40,000 bonus miles on qualifying transactions
- EXCLUSIVE: Redeem flights for 5,000 fewer miles
- Zone 2 boarding on every flight
- Enjoy 2 miles per $1 spent on US Airways purchases
- Earn 1 mile per $1 spent everywhere else
- Annual companion certificate good for round-trip travel for up to 2 companions at $99 each, plus taxes and fees
- First Class check-in
- Please see terms and conditions for complete details
Application Link: Barclay’s US Airways Premier World MasterCard
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express with 25,000 bonus Starpoints!
- Starpoints® bonus: earn up to 25,000 bonus points: 10,000 after your first purchase and another 15,000 after you spend $5,000 within the first 6 months of Cardmembership
- That’s enough for a weekend getaway to a Category 4 Hotel.
- Earn up to 5 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG hotels and resorts – that’s 2 Starpoints for using the Card in addition to the Starpoints you earn as an SPG member. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- Free Hotel Nights: redeem Starpoints at over 1,100 hotels in nearly 100 countries worldwide – with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- Free Flights: redeem Starpoints on over 350 airlines with SPG Flights – with no blackout dates
- No limits on the number of Starpoints you can earn
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65
- Terms and Restrictions apply.
Application Link: Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express