Update July 1, 2014:
The current offer on the Premier Miles & More® World MasterCard® is 20,000 miles after first purchase and payment of $79 annual fee.
- Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchase or balance transfer
- Earn up to 15,000 award miles with balance transfers (1 mile per $1 transferred) within 30 days of account opening
- Earn 2 award miles per $1 on ticket purchases directly from Miles & More integrated airline partners
- Earn 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Annual Companion Ticket after first purchase
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases made outside the U.S.
- Redeem miles for flight awards and upgrades on Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Star Alliance airlines and other partners
- $79 Annual Fee, waived for SEN and HON Circle Members
The 50,000 mile bonus offer has returned on the Premier Miles & More® World MasterCard® from Barclaycard.
The Premier Miles & More® World MasterCard® now comes with 50,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 in the first 90 days. After meeting the spending requirement, you’ll have enough Miles & More miles for a roundtrip in business class to Europe.
We saw the same bonus run last Spring and Fall, and each time I think it overwhelmed Barclaycard with how popular the deal was.
On the earning side, I think every frequent flyer should get the Premier Miles & More® World MasterCard® for its:
- sign up bonus
- frequent targeted category bonuses
- potential secondary spending bonus
Beyond the 55,000 miles you’ll get for spending $5,000 on the card in the first three months, occasionally the Lufthansa card offers targeted category bonuses. For the first three months of 2014, I earned 3 miles per dollar at grocery stores with my Lufthansa card. Others were targeted for 6 miles per dollar.
And many of us also were offered 15k Bonus Lufthansa Miles for Spending $750 Per Month for Three Straight Months on the card.
With these promos, I’ve earned over 73,000 Lufthansa miles on the card in less than a year.
On the redemption side, there are three types of awards where Lufthansa miles shine:
- Mileage Bargains awards (30k miles roundtrip to Europe in economy, 55k miles roundtrip to Europe in Business Class)
- Awards without fuel surcharges (the western hemisphere and some very low fuel surcharges to Europe)
- Awards you can’t book with United miles (Swiss First Class, Lufthansa First Class more than 15 days in advance)
But the card is not for everyone. It depends on how you want to redeem the miles because for some awards, Lufthansa miles are a terrible value.
In this post, I will go in detail on the three classes of high value awards with tons of specific examples to show the best uses of the 50,000 mile sign up bonus.
This post is also a full primer of the Miles & More program for people who don’t know much about it and explains how to book online and by phone, two ways to save miles on a Miles & More booking, and comparisons between Miles & More and United MileagePlus.