Elegant, Opulent, Grand, Colorful and Detailed.
These are all traits that describe the Ritz Carlton in Kuala Lumpur.
I stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a night and here’s what I found:
As soon as our car arrived, the door-man helped us out of the car. He took the luggage to a holding area as I checked in. At the check in desk, there were three employees that had all welcomed me with a smile. After asking for an upgrade, I was given the executive room. This room was said to be bigger than a normal room. Our keys were handed to us, and we were shown to the elevator.
The room is amazing. We were given a room on the 11th floor and as soon as the door opened, I was in awe. For starters, the carpet is all white and extremely clean. In addition, the room was tastefully appointed with modern furniture. Unlike other hotels, the furniture actually matched and had some substance. Once I walked in, there was a work area that was separated by a wall from the rest of the room. As I walked in further, I saw a couch/sofa and a massive TV enclosure. This was all separated from the bed but not by any walls.
The bathroom is well appointed with marble flooring and walls. The bathtub in the bathroom is massive and can be made into a bubble bath by dialing the butler ($20). There is a separate walk in shower that has a clever red button that you need to push to go past 38 Celsius (100 Fahrenheit). The sink is accompanied by a variety of amenities including a toothbrush, mouthwash, toothpaste, and lotion. There are more towels than you will ever need in the bathroom. From my initial count, it was 14. (4 bath, 5 hand, 5 general purpose)
The hotel itself is located in the Golden Triangle area of Kuala Lumpur. It is walking distance from the trendy and popular Pavilion Mall. It is also very close to Bukit Bintang, a local shopping area. The Ritz Carlton is also linked with it’s sister property The JW Marriott. The underground connection bridge boasts a variety of high end stores and is a nice place to walk around and shop! In addition to the area, The Ritz Carlton also has two amazing pools. The first pool is for hotel guests with children and the second is for ages 18 and above. The second pool is the one you want to go to for a nice swim/jacuzzi. The main pool is connected to the famous Spa Village but it is a bit pricey with massage treatments starting at about $150 for an hour.
As expected, the Ritz Carlton has extraordinary customer service. I’ve noticed that this is the trend with Asia-Pacific hotels as the service was at about the same level as the adjoining JW Marriott when I came last March. From check-in, the staff had my name memorized. The Ritz Carlton is an all butler hotel and so all of your needs are tended to in an instant of picking up the phone. When I walked downstairs to leave the hotel, everyone from the check-in desk to doorman knew my name. It was amazing to see the amount of service they provided. I also ordered room service and the food was up to my room in a record-breaking 10 minutes!
- This hotel is all about branding. Everything from the towels to trash can liners were embedded with the Ritz Carlton logo. They even had their own Ritz Carlton peanuts!
- I highly advise against using points for this hotel. Malaysia is saturated with luxury hotels and this drives the price down immensely. I was able to get a rate of $139 with the inclusion of breakfast for 2. Breakfast alone costs about $20 per person.
- If you are looking for comparable service at a lower rate ($100/Night) go to the JW Marriott. Not only do they have great rooms and service, but they also give free internet to ALL Marriott Rewards members. This is a savings of $15/day. The Ritz Carlton does not honor the free internet policy or 4PM checkout policy.
- If you do get internet, the most useful part is the free wifi hotspot they give you. The hotel encourages you to take the hotspot with you while in Malaysia. The Internet is unlimited and works amazingly well! I found myself posting pictures with great speed and amazing coverage.
- Turndown service is done twice a day and they leave nice chocolates on the bedside
- If you do choose to eat breakfast, the staff at the restaurant (Cesar’s) is wonderful. They all have great personalities and really do love working at the Ritz.
I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it to all types of families and couples. The Ritz Carlton offers wonderful service with tastefully appointed rooms. If you’re looking for an affordable yet classy place to stay in Malaysia, this is the hotel!